As we are about to end Breakfast week, I want to share a recipe that would be great for a special occasion, or a DIY Sunday brunch. Its rich and buttery, with a nice layer of cream cheese filling on top, and best of all, its make ahead! I came across this recipe quite a long time ago, and I have made it several times. Granted, I am not the best at getting the layers perfect just yet, but I wanted to share it with you anyway.
This Lemon Cream Cheese Breakfast Tart is made in two layers, and its really easy! You can literally have this beauty ready to pop in the oven in ten minutes. It has a nice light lemon flavor in the cream cheese filling, and the cake is flavored with some nice lemon zest, which goes great with all the butter that’s in it. Yep, this is not diet food. The only tricky part with this recipe is making the layers.
Spread the first layer in the bottom, super easy!
Spread the cream cheese layer on top of that and bake!
Once its baked let it cool over night in the fridge.
I told you it was make ahead!
Lemon Cream Cheese Breakfast Tart
- For the cake:
- ⅔ cup (95 grams) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (65 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp (8 grams) baking powder
- ½ Cup (113 grams) melted and cooled butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp (6 grams) lemon zest, approx two medium lemons worth
- for the filling:
- 8 oz (227 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp (42 grams) Melted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup (120 grams) confectioners sugar
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Coat 9" spring form pan with vegetable spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth (can also be done in a stand mixer).
- Add confectioners sugar and beat until incorporated.
- Add egg, both extracts, and lemon zest. Beat until combined, approx. 1 minute. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- mix in the melted butter, eggs, lemon juice, vanilla and zest, just until combined- DO NOT OVER MIX!
- Pour batter into bottom of spring form pan, and spread evenly on the bottom with offset spatula. Layer will be approx ½" thick.
- Carefully pour cream cheese mixture over the top, being careful to leave a ½" of the cake batter visible.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes at 325° F, or until a toothpick inserted in edge of cake comes out clean.
- Cool, in pan, on wire rack for 10-15 minutes, and then remove the sides of the pan.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate over night.
- Serve chilled with whipped cram or a sprinkle of confectioners sugar.